GDP Case Study : Dell Computers
Our client Dell Computers commissioned us to develop a training programme for their Managerial Learning Suite on Diversity. We had to take into account the preferred learning styles of the Dell managers and also ensure our course was aligned to Dell’s business objectives. The other challenge we had was to deliver to a global audience.
We developed a variety of workshops for them, including:
- Leadership and Diversity workshops in Ireland for all Dell Senior Management
- Diversity Awareness workshops in France - for Dell Senior Managers
- Promoting Diversity & Inclusion programme for Chief Executive and Leadership Team
- Development of a Train the Trainer programme for Dell trainers.
Leadership and Diversity Workshops
The course activity case studies developed had to be relevant and customised to Dell. We worked closely with the Diversity Manager and Group HR Manager to ensure the course was aligned to corporate objectives. We conducted a pre-course training needs analysis and geared the course around leadership and diversity. We focussed on diversity in the private sector and the business case. Dell was clear they wanted a mixture of activities which covered a wide range of objectives. We put together a highly engaging participative programme. The course emphasised the responsibility of senior leaders to “Walk the Talk”. The managers were encouraged to explore their own behaviour and were assessed against their diversity leadership profiles. All managers were updated on the legal, business and moral case for diversity, as well as Dell’s vision for diversity and their corporate Diversity strategy.
The senior leadership team has attended and endorsed the programme at the highest levels. We are carrying out review events to track their progress and develop accountability and responsibility. All managers have been tasked with cascading the message to their teams. The evaluations were extremely positive and prompted the development of further programmes for Dell.
These series of workshops were developed to equip DELL Managers with the appropriate skills, knowledge and behaviours to manage diversity and to promote a winning culture. The following outcomes were reached as a result of this:
- An awareness of how personal beliefs, attitudes, language and behaviour can impact on team relationships, as well as customer service
- A heightened appreciation of cross-cultural communication and working
- An understanding of the value of diversity from a business perspective
- The consideration of a range of effective strategies for managing diversity
- Introduction to a Diversity skills and Behavioural Model
- The consideration of next steps for implementing diversity
A similar programme was also held in France for senior managers, however the programme was customised to take into account cultural differences We were commissioned to design and develop bespoke sessions with the chief executive and his leadership team. The aim of these events was to ensure that Dell’s Leadership team was able to champion diversity on a strategic and operational level as a key business imperative on a global scale. These seminars also served as a feedback mechanism and key issues which had been shared during delivery of the senior managers training were conveyed and action plans were developed.
Development of Train the Trainer programme
We developed a Train the Trainer package for Dell trainers including all PowerPoint slides, session guidelines, dos and don’ts, and trainer checklists. This package is now used to train Dell trainers to ensure a smooth and seamless delivery of our global bespoke diversity learning solution.